family law

My Divorce Is Not Going Well

If your divorce is not going well, you need to take action now before it is too late. The consequences of a poor property settlement or unworkable parenting orders will have drastic and long term consequence for your life and that of your children. Can I change my divorce lawyer? If you are feeling ignored …

My Divorce Is Not Going Well Read More »

Quick Property Settlement for Asset Pools under $500,000

Updated: April 2021 – Case Study – successful settlement in PPP500 case. There is good news for parties to a family law property dispute where the net asset pool is under $500,000 with the launch of a new pilot pilot programme running in Brisbane, Parramatta, Adelaide and Melbourne registries of the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. If you are in a property dispute where the net asset pool is under $500,000 there is now a quicker and more cost effective pathway.

How to Win Choice of School Dispute

If one parent has sole parental responsibility, then they may on their own proceed to enrol the child where they consider is best for them. But what of the common situation of parents who have shared parental responsibility but are unable to agree as to schooling, whether this be in relation to a new enrolment or changing schools?

Alcohol, Child Custody and Parenting

Where alcohol consumption is at a normal level and poses no risk of harm to the children or other parent, it is unlikely that the mere fact of alcohol being consumed would, on its own, lead a family court to draw any adverse conclusions as to that parent’s parenting capacity. Where there are allegations of alcohol misuse then a family court must assess the level of risk.

Exclusive Sole Occupancy of the Matrimonial Home

The issue often arises during relationship breakdown as to who will remain living at the former matrimonial home and who will move out. Some people can manage to resolve issue by consent; while others agree to remain separated under one roof. But in many cases agreement is unable to be reached and separation under one roof is not desirable, in such cases sole occupancy is sought as the solution. The court has power pursuant to the Family Law Act 1975 to order that one party has sole use and occupation of the former matrimonial home. However, sole occupancy is not easy to obtain. Orders giving exclusive use or occupation of a matrimonial home are only made with caution. It is a serious matter to turn a spouse out of their home.

Protect Your Property and Assets After Separation

Since the identification and value of property is usually considered as at the date of the final hearing, a common issue in property settlement after separation is how to prevent the dissipation of assets. Ultimately prevention is the best cure and the sooner a property settlement can be achieved (whether by consent or by final hearing) the better.

This article will discuss three things:

  1. Add-backs to the property pool for property which has already been dissipated;

  2. Using urgent interim injunctions to protect assets and property;

  3. Using a caveat to protect real property such as a house or land.