consent orders

What are Consent Orders?

If both parties have reached agreement about child parenting and/or financial property arrangements and want to formalise the agreement to make it binding, they can apply to the Family Court of Australia for consent orders. Consent orders do not need to be served. There are many potential pitfalls when drafting consent orders. Parties are advised to have a lawyer draft the proposed orders and then have a second lawyer review these and give independent legal advice to the other party.

Parenting Plan or Parenting Orders?

A parenting plan is not a legally enforceable agreement and is different from a parenting order which is made by a court. Your parenting plan can be turned into parenting orders. From a practical point of view, it is a good idea to agree on a parenting plan first, and then to have this parenting plan turned into parenting consent orders by the court.

Separation and Divorce

Separation is when you and your partner stop living together in a domestic or marriage-like relationship. Your partner does not have to agree to the separation, however he or she needs to know that you think the relationship is over. There are no legal processes to become separated. Divorce is the official ending of marriage. …

Separation and Divorce Read More »